Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I am not a poetry person...let's face it,I'm not the kind you would look out for when you're in the mood to discuss Neruda or Elliot for that matter...I can't write poetry for nuts, and I'm not a voracious devourer of poetry,either.
However,poetry composed in lucid, free flowing language manage to interest me much.I have a penchant for poetries such as these..so much so that I've often scribbled random verses I've heard somewhere in scrap pieces of paper and tucked them inside my jhola...
One such poster manged to grab my attention today...there it was prercariously hanging loose on the wall right outside JU...
The poem's called "Malda Station"...And it goes like this..

"station theke kaalo megher chhaya dekhte pai
musafir khanay jhogra kore lok
ami dekhte pai cha walla boshe kaade
dukhho holo engine-er awaaj
dukhho jokhon kome jay
neel akasher chaand dekhte pai"

some non descript,typically common place seventeen year old Raju Chakroborty wrote this..
'So what?',you'd probably say..
The irony is that Raju is a peddlar.He sells waterbottles and cold drinks at the railway station...the rest of the time he writes poetry...
It gives me goosebumps to even think that maybe someday I've bought a bottle of soda from the boy,carelessly thrusting the price in his hand, without realising for once that the fingers with which he took the money from me are the same nimble fingers that produce such wonderfully graphic poems like Malda Station
Incredible how these people still manage to dream so big despite whatever hindrances and struggles that befall them in their everyday fight for a better existence...
Kudos to Raju and all others like him who haven't yet been disillusined about life in general,and who still manage to potray the reality through such simple yet strong imageries.

[whoever wishes to read more of Raju's poems,or even other poems for that matter may log on to www.daywalka.org]

8 comments:

darkling said...

incredible....arent they???

Anonymous said...

nam ekta choto kore,cocktail din dupure,ta ra,ra,ra,ta,ra,ra,ra,ra, welcome to raju opera..rajur mato onek alibaba ekhono ache bolei to prithibita ekhono eto rongin.khub bhalo....prarthona kori shato abhabh,anoton,bastob dukho,khider majhe or kabyoneshar bud-bud jeno konodin phuriye na jaye

Joychaser said...

the human spirit burns in them while we who are the privileged languish in our own mediocrity

sigh

and i can't find the poems in that site

Joychaser said...

by the way, 17th, motorcycle diaries, game?

onnesha said...

@div...I'm broke...and i simply typed the website address that was given in there...check it when you go to college..

Bone said...

the daywalka foundation is doing some amazing job. i don't know if you'd remember, but there was this mindblowing project called "kalam: margins write" last year... which resulted in the publication of a limited edition bi-lingual anthology called "poetic spaces", containing poems written by underprivileged young men and women. you will be surprised to see their maturity and range of emotions and eloquence of expression. it can put any of us privileged children to shame.

if you're interested, i have a copy of that book, i'll show you the next time we meet. alternatively i can email you a few of the poems if you want (they're mostly in bengali, a couple in hindi maybe, but all translated to english as well). let me know.

Bone said...

not to mention, same offer goes out to diviani, since she seems interested about the poems. anything to promote daywalka actually. they're the first (and till date only) ngo project that has really, really, really impressed me.

plus anyone (of you that is) wants "the motorcycle diaries" in div-x format, spanish with no subtitles, can get in touch with me as well.

onnesha said...

sounds damn cool ,man...I'm game...you know my email id right??do mail me some of their poems....
I'm not so sure about the motorcycle diaries though...i don't know spanish...:P