Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Amolkanti ar roddur


way back in school I had once recited a poem where a certain Amolkanti wanted to be roddur.the feeling fascinated me so much that i couldnt get over it for long.even now,after so many years i remember those few lines although the actual event has escaped my memory.I remember how i would ask maa if she knew Amol and whether I stood a chance to be like him.Sometimes,I would even stay up all night contemplating Amol's fate till the morning breeze lulled me to sleep.And although life then didn't have a dearth of distractions,uncannily,Amolkanti and his roddur stayed on.He would come visiting me in lazy afternoons when the sunshine strained through palm leaves to conjure pretty motifs on the mosaic.I would lie sprawled on the baranda talking immaculately about all that captured my fancy while Amol listened on.He was a good listener.He would hear me out patiently,never flinching for a moment and when time came he tucked roddur inside his backpack and off he would go,drowning my baranda in plunging darkness.

Some months later,Amol suddenly stopped visiting.Roddur still came to my baranda but somehow it didn't feel same.Maa said he probably got tired of my stories.My rendezvous with Amol thus ended abruptly.The stories would well up inside me for now,there was none to tell them to.I never again chanced upon another listener who would match Amol's standard.

And suddenly today I'm missing my friend all over again.I still don't know how Amol became roddur.Or,if he at all did.

I wish I could become roddur someday...

14 comments:

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

Damn!!
But I'm sure ur Amol is thinking the same thing about u.
:-)

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

What did u do to the picture on top???...ei chobi'ta ektu beshi boro naa???!!!...

Unknown said...

as bimbo would say...nice...verry nice...
and as i would say...scary choshma pic man!!!!!!

little boxes said...

amol...i read that poem too and wanted to be a bird after that.
and roddur...in delhi thats something u dont get to see nowadays...
beautiful piece and a piece that cements my decision of coming back to ur blog each time i miss home...

onnesha said...

@moo-lah and yippee-i swear i have no clue.i aint that tech savvy.i had taken this pic of babar choshma and when i tried putting that in there it suddenly turned so big!!
@little boxes-roddur chhar ajkal akash kotota dekha jay boltoh?

dreamy said...

Childhood imaginary friends, sigh!

coffee stain said...

i mean woah woman...... i get the "big picture"

darkling said...

aaaaahhh its a beautiful thing u have painted here.....

ps:hot pick on dis-play.....heeheee

Llama said...

You did make childhood afternoons spent on sun-swept verandahs come alive with that post. :)

onnesha said...

@dreamy-amol never was a figment of my juvenile imagination.i mean,he was.but may be not.you get the hang?
@coffee stain-you "woah"ing me?gee!thanksh mishterr *blush*
@darkling-thankoo.hot bole hot?bolle hobe mawa?
@poojo c- sun-swept barandas.my thought exactly!

Ephemera said...

hmmm..
"Sunshine, on my shoulders makes me happy", somehow i felt that the post had much to do with winter.

Anonymous said...

i used to talk to myself as a child...i still do

people then thought I was insane...they still do

not that I care

Joychaser said...

but you grew up. and you can tell your stories to us! :)

Sam said...

i never read that poem... may be amol interacted ony with ppp of a certain age.. u never knw...
but the best part u did learn soemthing from Amol didn't u?? that's whot is more important!!